Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the cake mix, butter, egg, and lemon peel in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes until blended. Mix in cornmeal with a wooden spoon.
2. Place the sugar in small, shallow bowl. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and flatten slightly with spatula or palm.
3. Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until centers are just set. Cool 1 minute on sheets, then remove cookies with spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
Variations for Lemon Cornmeal Cookies
Lemon-Thyme Cornmeal Cookies: Prepare as directed but add 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves to the dough.
Rosemary Polenta Cookies: Prepare as directed but use white cake mix, orange peel in place of lemon peel, and add 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves.
© Sourcebooks, Inc. The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book by Camilla Saulsbury