Spooning up this icy cooler is like eating lemonade. The lemon slices add an appealing texture and flavor. Our kid testers liked the combination of sweet and sour.
|Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 5 Minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbs or more to taste
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes (2/3 cup total)
- 1 lemon, washed and cut into paper-thin slices and finely chopped, optional
- 1 lime, thinly sliced, for garnish, optional
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water to a boil, then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lemon and lime juices and cook 1 minute, then add the lemon slices, if desired, and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a 9- by 13-inch metal or glass pan and freeze for 2 to 3 hours, or until half frozen. Using a fork, break up the ice until texture is almost smooth. Freeze for another hour.
- Break up ice crystals with a fork and scoop mixture into a parfait glass or tall, narrow glass; serve with a spoon, a straw, and, if desired, a slice of lime on the edge of glass.
|How kids can help: Scrub fruit thoroughly; squeeze juice from lemons and limes; break up slushy mixture with a fork.|
Per serving (1/4 recipe): 164 calories, 0 g fat (0 g saturated), 0.8 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.