PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 10 minutes
BROIL: 1 to 2 minutesYIELD: 4 servings (2 kids', 2 adults')
* Cooking spray
* 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
* 1/2 cup reduced-fat mimlk
*1 3/4 cup shredded American cheese
* 1/2 cup grated parmesan
* 4 cups cooked elbow pasta (1/2 pound uncooked)
* 1/4 cup thinly sliced roasted red peppers
* 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Coat a shallow ovenproof dish with cooking spray; set aside. Sauté mushrooms in small skillet over medium-high heat until golden; remove from heat.
2. Add milk, American cheese, and parmesan to a medium pot. Cook over low heat until small bubbles appear (not boiling). Whisk until cheese is melted. Pour over cooked pasta and stir.
3. Divide mixture, keeping half plain to serve to kids. For adults: Mix mushrooms and red peppers into the remaining half. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle with cheddar. Broil 1 to 2 minutes, or until top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
HOW KIDS CAN HELP: Measure ingredients; stir cheese sauce and cooked pasta together.
PER SERVING: kids 430 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated), 794 mg sodium, 42 mg cholesterol; adults 563 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated), 1,027 mg sodium, 72 mg cholesterol