Make-Ahead Pizza Casserole (Plus Dinners For the Whole Week)
PREP: 15 minutes
RESTING AND BAKING TIME: About 4 hours
What You'll Need:
1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 lb prosciutto, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
6 cups cubed French or Italian bread (about 1)
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Grated parmesan cheese, optional
1. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the mozzarella, prosciutto, tomatoes, and bread. Arrange the bread mixture evenly in the baking pan.
3. Using the same bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the milk, sour cream, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. Beat well.
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, tilting the baking pan from side to side to soak all the bread cubes evenly. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.
5. 5. Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes; heat oven to 350°F. Uncover the casserole and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on top. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese before serving, if desired. Serve with a green salad and your favorite vinaigrette.
PER SERVING: Calories
Quickie-side suggestion: Serve with a tossed green salad with an Italian vinaigrette, along with zucchini sautéed with garlic and olive oil.
Ideas for picky eaters: Make it a white pizza by omitting the tomatoes. Skip the chopped prosciutto if your kid's not down with meat. Or you can cheese it up by melting extra mozz on top.