Makes: 24 cupcakes
- 1 recipe Chocolate Cake
- 24 jumbo-size marshmallows
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 recipe Chocolate Ganache
- 1 recipe Vanilla Frosting
- 6 graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Cook cream in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until it begins to steam (do not boil); remove from heat.
- Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Slowly add hot cream to chocolate, beating with a whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is well blended. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Makes about 2 cups.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. whipping cream
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chocolate extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Combine cocoa and 2 cups boiling water in a large heatproof bowl, stirring until blended and smooth; cool completely.
- Beat butter with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine fl our and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with fl our mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate extract.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat.
- Place marshmallows on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 3 to 4 minutes or until marshmallows are toasted to desired degree of doneness and color. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Fill each cupcake with Chocolate Ganache. How-To Fill: To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about ¼ inch from one corner of bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake. Note: If you want to fill and frost 1 recipe of cupcakes with the same frosting, you will need about 6 cups of frosting total.
- Frost each cupcake with Vanilla Frosting. How-To Frost by Hand: Place a heaping spoonful of frosting in center of cupcake. With an offset spatula, push frosting to edges while turning cupcake. Rotate cupcake, and lift the frosting with the spatula to create peaks.
- Top each with graham cracker pieces, and drizzle with Chocolate Ganache. Place 1 toasted marshmallow on top of each cupcake.
Baker’s Secret You can also toast the marshmallows using a kitchen torch, if you have one, much like caramelizing the sugar for crème brulee.