Prep: 10 minutes
Cook/stand: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 envelope low-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 11/2 cups water
- 1 cup chunky, thick salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 11/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- Black pepper
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 11/2 cups washed, dried and shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the chunks. Drain off any fat. Add taco seasoning mix, water, salsa and corn; cook, uncovered, stirring until mixture boils.
2. Stir in rice and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 6 minutes.
3. Fluff rice-and-beef mixture with a fork. Sprinkle with cheese, cover and let stand for 2 minutes, or until cheese melts. Uncover and serve with lettuce and tomato.
How kids can help: Wash and dry lettuce; measure ingredients; fluff rice mixture with fork; sprinkle with cheese.
Per serving: (11/2 cups): 432 calories, 18 g fat (9 g saturated), 1,098 mg sodium, 95 mg cholesterol