Mexican-Style Sloppy Joes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, optional
- 6 French rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce (preferably green leaf or romaine)
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 6 Tbs shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Fill rolls with beef and bean mixture. Top with salsa, then with cheese; cover with top halves of rolls.
1. Drain beans, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid in a small bowl, and rinse.
2. In a medium skillet, brown garlic and beef over moderate heat for approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in chili powder, beans, liquid, and cumin (if desired); simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Hollow out the roll halves and toast lightly. Divide the shredded lettuce and the beef and bean mixture evenly among the bottom halves of the rolls; top each with 2 tablespoons of salsa and 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese. Cover with top halves of rolls and serve.
PER SERVING (1 sandwich): 339 calories, 9 g fat (3.3 g saturated), 907 mg sodium, 28 mg cholesterol. A good source of both fiber and iron.