20 Easy Ways to Raise a Natural Baby
Raise a natural baby using affordable, eco-friendly methods and products without breaking the bank
1. Breastfeed as much as you can. It's not only good for your baby, but you get to eat more too (up to 500 more calories)! If you use formula, buy powdered formulas in large containers to cut back on packaging.
2. Treat baby's cold with saline nasal drops (like Simply Saline Baby Sterile Nasal Mist for Baby) and a cool-mist humidifier, like those from Kids Line (pictured) or Crane. Most cold meds aren't recommended for babies anyway.
3. Use less canned food. Most have a resin-based lining that contains the potentially harmful chemical bisphenol A (BPA). Cook dry beans and freeze portions. It's easy in a slow cooker, lower in sodium and saves cash. But, just so you know, most canned goods by Eden Organic are BPA-free. (Go go inspirationgreen.com to find other BPA-free brands and products.)
4. Use a water pitcher with a filter as soon as you see the positive sign on the stick. It not only reduces the toxins and additives in drinking water, it saves you money on purified bottled water and reduces waste.
5. Weed out the plastic from your kitchen so you don't have to guess which containers are “safe.” Store food in glass (a great way to reuse baby-food, pickle and tomato sauce jars) and pack on-the-go snacks and lunches in reusable bags. We love the cute patterns on snack bags from Itzy Ritzy. (itzyritzy.com)