Near-Strangulations Prompt Recall of over 300,000 Roman Shades
About 364,000 Dublin Energy Solution Roman Shades, made by Louis Hornick & Co. Inc., of New York, N.Y., and sold by Bed Bath & Beyond, have been recalled due to strangulation risk. Strangulations can occur when a child places his/her neck
between the exposed inner cord and the fabric on the backside of the
blind or when a child pulls the cord out and wraps it around his/her
There have been two reports of children becoming
entangled in the exposed inner cord on the back of the shade. In July
2008, while in his crib, a 20-month-old boy became entangled in the
inner cord from a roman shade. His grandfather responded to the child's
cries and removed the cord that left a red mark on the right side of his
neck. In April 2009, the mother of a 3-year-old boy found her crying son
with a cord mark that ran ear to ear on the front of his neck. The boy
was able to free himself after becoming entangled in the inner cord. No
permanent injuries were sustained in these incidents.
This recall includes all sizes and colors of Dublin Energy
Solution Roman Shades sold by Bed Bath & Beyond with exposed inner cords
on the back. Colors include navy, chocolate, khaki and cream. On the
backside of the head rail, a small orange, black and white warning label
sticker in English and Spanish which read in part, "Cords and bead
chains can loop around child's neck and STRANGLE. Always keep cords
...to get to cords."
The recalled shades, manufactured in China and sold at Bed Bath & Beyond stores nationwide and on-line at
www.bedbathandbeyond.com from August 2007 through September 2009 for
between $40 and $130.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled Roman
shades and contact Louis Hornick & Company to receive a free repair kit.
The repair kit will be available by the end of November.
For additional information, contact Louis Hornick &
Company toll-free at (800) 517-3612 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET daily,
or visit the firm's Web site at www.hornickindustries.com.
To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the
recalled products, please go to: