- Fold a piece of paper in half.
- Fold in half again, making a small crease to show the midpoint. Fold the bottom right corner upwards to make a 60° angle at the midpoint (begin to fold into thirds).
- Fold the bottom left corner upwards to meet with the folded right-edge of the paper.
- Trim the excess paper to form a cone shape.
- Make several cuts out of the cone shape and then unfold to discover your paper snowflake. Be careful not to cut too much—this will cause the entire snowflake to fall apart.
Note that cutting a half heart will open to reveal a complete heart cutout. Similarly, cutting a semicircle will create a circle; and cutting a triangle will produced a diamond shape.
For more origami and paper craft ideas for kids, check out the Origami Resource Center.