COOK: about 30 minutes
YIELD: 4 servings
* 1 Tbs olive oil
* 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
* 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
* 12-oz bag wide noodles, such as pappardelle, or fettuccine
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add ground meat to skillet.
2. Cook (stirring and breaking up meat) until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 7 or 8 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. While the sauce simmers, prepare the pasta as directed on the package. Serve it topped with sauce.
HOW KIDS CAN HELP: Wash and peel the carrots; older kids can stir the pasta.
PER SERVING (2 cups pasta, 1 cup sauce): 572 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated), 850 mg sodium, 31 mg cholesterol