Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce (or enough to cover the chicken during marinating stage)
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- ½-lb. strip steak
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾-cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ¼-pound snow peas, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- ¼-cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 (15 oz.) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼-cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 2-3 tablespoons bottled teriyaki sauce (or, to taste)
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
*Note: Step 1 should be done in advance
1. Cover chicken with teriyaki sauce and marinate for at least an hour, or as long as overnight. Remove from marinade, heat oil in pan and sauté chicken until cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Cut into diagonal slices, about two inches thick.
2. Prepare all of your ingredients before starting to cook--do your chopping and dividing and slicing first thing. While you do this, let your steak come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
3. Heat a heavy skillet to medium-high and coat your steak in a bit of the oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place your steak in the hot pan, and let cook for five minutes on each side. Remove from pan and transfer to the oven (transfer to a cast iron grill pan, if you have one, or just another oven-proof pan).
5. Heat remaining oil in the original steak pan, which should still be on medium-high heat.
6. Add remaining ingredients, through teriyaki sauce, one at a time, sautéeing for 15 to 30 seconds each time you add an ingredient. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until everything is heated through and the portions in contact with the pan become a little bit crispy. Stir again, and turn heat to very low to keep everything warm.
7. Remove steak from oven and check for doneness; if it's pinker than you prefer, pop it back in for a minute or two more. If it's done, let it sit for five minutes, then slice thinly.
8. Remove fried rice from stove. Arrange steak on top of adult portions, and sprinkle sesame seeds and sliced scallions over the plates before serving (or omit from kids' portion, if so desired).