Prep time: 20 MINUTES
Cook time: 25 TO 30 MINUTES
Serves: 12 PRETZELS
Measuring cup and spoons
Mixing bowls: 2 large, 1 small
Flat, clean work area (cutting board or counter)
1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
1/3 cup corn syrup
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Extra flour for work surface
Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons water
Coarse salt to taste
2 tablespoons melted butter
Mustard or melted cheese for dipping, optional
1. In one large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Add corn syrup, flour, and salt. Sprinkle flour on hands and mix ingredients until moistened. Form dough into a ball (the dough may be a little sticky).
2. Lightly flour the work surface. Flatten dough ball on the work surface until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Fold the top half of the dough over to the middle and push in with the palms of your hands. Rotate dough one-quarter turn and repeat. Continue for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and doesn't feel sticky, adding flour to keep it from sticking to the work surface as needed.
3. Coat the inside of the other large bowl with cooking spray or oil. Form the dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Turn dough ball over. Cover bowl with a towel and place in a warm area. Let dough rise for about 40 minutes (it should expand to almost double its original size).
4. Break the egg into the small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons water and beat mixture well with fork.
5. Once dough has risen, preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease cookie sheet with cooking spray or oil.
6. Take risen dough out of bowl and divide equally into 12 balls. To make a traditional pretzel twist, first roll each ball between your hands to form a rope 12 to 18 inches long. Form a U shape with the dough. Take the two ends and twist them around each< other twice; then fold the twist over to finish. Or get creative: Shape letters or make your own design.
7. Place pretzels on cookie sheet. Brush each one lightly with egg mixture; sprinkle with coarse salt.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until light brown. Brush pretzels with butter. 9. Serve warm with mustard or melted cheese for dipping. Enjoy!
PER PRETZEL (1/12 recipe): 159 calories, 4 g protein, 3 g fat (1.4 g saturated), 29 g carbohydrate, about 80 to 280 mg sodium, 23 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1.8 mg iron, 11 mg calcium.