Rice and Fruit Salad
|Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
To make ahead: Fully prepare up to one day ahead, cover, and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups sodium-free wild-rice medley
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 Bosc pear, cored and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (1 cup)
- 1 tbs minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup golden raisins
- In a pot, bring 3 1/2 cups water and rice to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, until rice is tender. Drain rice and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add pear and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl with rice.
- Melt remaining butter in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook celery, onion, and garlic, stirring, until translucent and starting to brown, about 6 minutes. Add lemon juice and vinegar and let boil 1 minute. Add salt to mixture and pour over rice. Add nuts and raisins to rice mixture and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.
|How kids can help: Measure ingredients; add nuts and raisins.|
Per serving: 302 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated), 311 mg sodium, 15 mg cholesterol.