Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: About 1 Hour and 15 Minutes
Serves: 4 Servings 1 Tbs olive oil
One 3-lb chicken
1 medium lemon
4 sprigs rosemary, or 1 1/2 tsp dried
8 cloves garlic, peeled
12 new potatoes, scrubbed
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
8 whole baby onions, peeled
1 large zucchini, cut into four wedges
1/2 cup apple cider or dry red wine
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread oil along bottom of a roasting pan. Add chicken and sprinkle the cavity and the skin lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Cut the lemon in half and rub the cut sides all over the chicken. Then make a small "X" in the flesh of each lemon half using a sharp knife; add both halves to the cavity.
3. Sprinkle on rosemary and scatter garlic around the chicken. Add the vegetables. Pour cider on top; roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue to roast until the juices run clear when the inside of the thigh is pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
5. Serve topped with pan juices and the roasted garlic and vegetables. Per serving ( 1/4 of recipe): 379 calories, 20 g fat (5.7 g saturated), 123 mg sodium, 165 mg cholesterol.