Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
* 2 Tbs olive oil
* 3 lb boneless pork loin
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 jalape¿¿o pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
* 1 tsp jarred chopped garlic
* 1/3 cup orange juice
* 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 tsp cornstarch
* 2 Tbs lemon juice
1. In a heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add pork and cook for 5 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove pork to a plate and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add remaining oil, onion, jalape¿¿o (if using), and garlic to skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Add orange juice. Scrape into a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place roast on top; add the broth.
3. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Remove pork; tent with foil.
4. Pour juices into a fat separator and remove the fat. Pour juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
5. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and stir into saucepan. Cook for a minute to thicken. Slice meat; serve with sauce.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients.
Per serving: 395 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated), 339 mg sodium, 128 mg cholesterol.