- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 chocolate frosted doughnut
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Red, purple and yellow food coloring
- 15 spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup green decorating sugar
- 4 anisette or almond toasts (Stella D’Oro)
- 4 red spice drops
- 2 strands red licorice laces
- 1 white Jelly Belly Mint Creme
- 1 Junior Mint
- 1 brown mini M&M
- 2 freezer-weight zip lock bags
- Rolling pin
- Serrated knife
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Use the template and serrated knife and cut a 1 inch slice of cake from 1 edge. Cut slice in half to make the legs.
- Cut out the wedge of cake below the cut area to make the head (see template for reference).
- Cut the doughnut in half. Cut one half in half again.
- Arrange the cake and doughnut pieces on a serving platter in the shape of the horse (see template for reference).
- Place the breakfast cookies below the feet as the rocker, rounded side facing away from the cake.
Frosting the cake:
- Tint 1-1/4 cups of the vanilla frosting yellow with the food coloring. Spoon the frosting into a zip lock bag. Tint 1/2 cup of the vanilla frosting red with the food coloring. Spoon the frosting into a zip lock bag. Tint the remaining vanilla frosting purple with the coloring.
- Spread the purple frosting all over the cake, not the cookies, and make smooth.
To complete the cake:
- Sprinkle the work surface with some of the green decorating sugar. Press 8 of the spearmint leaves together and roll out, adding more sugar to prevent sticking into a 5 inch oval (see template for reference). Press the remaining spearmint leaves together and roll into an 8 by 4-1/2-inch rectangle.
- Using scissors and template, cut out the saddle from the oval. Cut the rectangle into three 1 by 8-inch strips.
- Arrange the spearmint leaf pieces on top of the cake as shown. Trimming the excess from the strips on the feet and the bridle.
- Snip a small corner from the bags with the yellow and red frostings. Pipe long overlapping lines of yellow frosting to make the mane and the tail.
- Pipe dots along the top of the feet and around the lower edge of saddle with the red frosting. Pipe red frosting to cover the tops of the cookies.
- Add the red laces under the saddle and trim any excess. Flatten 2 of the red spice drops and attach with a dot of frosting as shown on the base of the saddle and the bridle. Add the 2 remaining spice drops to tips of end cookies.
- Add the crème mint as the eye and attach the Junior Mint as the pupil with a dot of frosting. Add the M&M as the nostril.