Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 90 minutes
Butter for baking dish
15-oz bag dry bread cubes for stuffing
1 lb turkey sausage, removed from casings
2 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large crisp apples, such as granny smith, peeled, cored, and diced
4 celery ribs, chopped
Salt, to taste
3 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
1. Lightly butter a 3- or 4-quart casserole dish. Put bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook sausage for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and add to bread cubes.
3. Add olive oil to pan, then add the onion, apple, and celery and cook for 7 or 8 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Season with salt. Spoon into bowl with bread cubes and sausage.
4. Mix in eggs and chicken broth. Spoon into dish and refrigerate.
5. Bake stuffing, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is crisp, about 45 minutes more.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients.
Per serving: 245 calories, 7g fat (1 g saturated), 970 mg sodium, 77 mg cholesterol.