For this costume, you'll need:
- Oversize pale-blue sweatshirt
- Fabric glue
- 1 yd 1"-wide elastic
- Large safety pin
- 1 yd batting
- 1 yd white felt
- 55 Styrofoam balls in various sizes
- 1"-sq Velcro
- 1 yd seam binding
- Fine white string
- Extra-large sewing needle
1. Cut sleeves off shirt 2" from neck; glue under raw edges. Cut small slit in waistband. Secure one end of elastic to safety pin; insert into slit and work through waistband. Tie ends in knot.
2. Turn shirt inside out and line with batting, gluing at shoulders and sides.
3. Make wristbands: Fold two 3"-wide strips white felt in half lengthwise; glue closed. Using a knife, slice a ball so it lies flat. Glue to strip. Continue until both strips are covered. Glue Velcro to ends.
4. Create collar: Take two 3" x 3" squares of white felt and fold each in half. Cut out snowflake design. Open each up and cut in half, creating four snowflake pieces. Glue to seam binding, leaving small spaces. In between each snowflake piece, glue half a ball, flat side down, to binding. Tie around neck, trimming tails to size.
5. Make hat: Cut a sleeve 8" down from top. Gather top end together, wrap with string, and tie. String a few balls using needle. Tie to top; glue to secure. Hollow out center of largest ball. Put glue inside and place over gathered edge, tucking excess strings inside.
6. String half of remaining balls at various lengths. Knot ends. Cut the rest in half. Glue end of each string to the flat side of a ball, then glue onto shirt. Cover shirt in this manner, attaching extra halves as well.