|Prep time: 1 minute |
Cook time: 6 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Two 15.5-oz cans low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 18-oz package fully cooked, taco-seasoned ground beef (such as Old El Paso; in the refrigerated case of the meat department)
- 8-oz can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added), undrained
- 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Dash hot sauce
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, combine all the ingredients and cook over high heat 6 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. If the chili bubbles too vigorously, reduce heat to medium-high.
- Serve warm, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped onion, or hot sauce, if desired.
Easy side: Serve with store-bought coleslaw or baby carrots.
Tip: For variety, substitute about 2 cups shredded cooked chicken for the beef. Or use white kidney beans instead of red beans, and salsa verde (green sauce, from the Mexican-food section of your supermarket) instead of tomato sauce.
Per serving (1 cup chili and 1/2 cup coleslaw): 321 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated), 858 mg sodium, 30 mg cholesterol.