Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 4 lb Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into bits
- Pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, in a large pot and fill it with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook until the potatoes are very tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and ½ tsp salt, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and soft.
3. Return drained potatoes to the pot; mash with the milk and butter. When potatoes are the desired consistency, stir in the onions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can prepare the potatoes in the morning. Place in a casserole dish coated with cooking spray, loosely drape with foil, and refrigerate. Reheat in the oven.