|Prep time: 10 minutes |
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Yield: 8 kid-size burgers
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Purple Puree (See puree recipe)
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs* or white
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices American cheese, optional
- 8 hamburger buns or English muffins, ideally whole wheat
- Ketchup and pickles for garnish
*Find whole-wheat bread crumbs in natural-foods stores, or make your own by pulsing whole-wheat bread in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, mix egg, Purple Puree, ketchup, salt, and bread crumbs until combined. Add ground beef, mixing with hands until well combined. If too sticky, add a few more bread crumbs.
- Using damp hands, shape into 8 fairly thin patties.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook burgers 3 minutes per side; add cheese (if using).
- Serve on buns or English muffins, with ketchup and pickles.
Per serving: Per serving: 209 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated), 594 mg sodium, 38 mg cholesterol.