Easing Symptoms & Treatment
If you come down with the flu, swine or otherwise, there are a few things you can do to keep yourself comfortable.
• If you or your child feel at all flu-ish, skip work and school. Stay home until you feel 100% better.
• Try to stay in a separate area of the house to limit the risk of passing the virus.
• Rest up -- consider it your free pass to catch up on your DVR list.
• Push clear fluids, like water and soup.
• Ease body aches with acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen. If your child is under 2, check with your doctor before giving them medication.
• Using a humidifier can ease a stuffy nose. Saline drops followed by suctioning with a nasal syringe can bring additional relief to small children.
• There is treatment for swine flu. Antiviral medications like Tamiflu and Relenza can lessen your symptoms make you feel better faster and prevent swine flu-related complications if taken early on. Consult your doctor about a prescription, especially if you're pregnant or have a small child.