To get your child started, courtesy of Andy Kao, executive chef for Panda Express, the national Chinese restaurant chain:
* Place both chopsticks in your child's hand as if she were holding a single pencil. Wedge the bottom chopstick into the crevice between her thumb and index finger so it can't budge.
* Slip her middle finger between the two sticks, making sure the tips line up. Her middle and ring fingers should firmly support the bottom stick.
* Tell her to use her thumb and index finger to move the top chopstick up and down.
* Once she's gotten the hang of the motion, have her try picking up a chunk of chicken or a piece of broccoli. Then move on to smaller foods like noodles and rice.
* Keep a fork on hand in case she gets frustrated.
Gung hay fat choy!