The Meaning of Motherhood Contest Official Rules
This contest has ended.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Purchasing will not increase your chances of winning.
2. Eligibility. Parenting Magazine's Meaning of Motherhood Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington, D.C. who are 19 years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Parenting magazine, The Parenting Group, Inc. ("Sponsor"), Bonnier Corporation, iDeal Partners, and their respective parent, subsidiary, and affiliate companies or operating divisions (collectively, the "Sponsor Entities"), and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, domestic partner, parents, siblings, and children) and/or person living in the same household of any of the foregoing, are not eligible to enter or win. Void where prohibited by law.
3. Contest Period. Contest begins 9:00 A.M. EDT September 1, 2009, and ends 11:59 P.M. EST November 1, 2009.
4. How to Enter. Email an original 300-word essay describing "what motherhood means to you" plus a photo illustrating the theme of your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send mail-in entries to Parenting's Meaning of Motherhood Contest, 2 Park Avenue, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10016 (no entries will be accepted at any other address). Mail-in entries must be postmarked by November 1, 2009 (11:59 P.M. EST), and received by November 9, 2009. One entry per entrant, either by mail or e-mail.
Visit www.parenting.com for further instructions on how to submit your entry. Only photos submitted following the directions and in electronic formats .jpg or .gif, with images at least 72 dpi and 3 Mbs or smaller will be considered eligible online entries. Online entries must be received before 11:59 P.M. EST on November 1, 2009. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the "Authorized Account Holder" of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. Authorized Account Holder means the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Entry materials/data that have been tampered with or altered, or mass entries or entries generated by a script, macro or use of automated devices are void.
The Sponsor Entities are not responsible for: (i) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, illegible or postage-due entries; or (ii) error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or any combination thereof; or (iii) any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to: (i) permanently disqualify from the Contest any person it believes has violated these Official Rules; and (ii) withdraw the online method of entry if it becomes technically corrupted, (including if a computer virus or system malfunction inalterably impairs its ability to conduct the Contest), and select Winner from among all eligible entries received prior to withdrawal.
All entries become property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
5. Essay and Photo Content. By entering the Contest, entrant represents and warrants that: (i) the submitted essay and photograph are original, non-published works that were created by entrant (and that the essay is not the product of a professional writer), (ii) the submitted essay and photograph do not incorporate any material that is owned by anyone other than entrant (including, for example, any photography, artwork, trademarks or logos owned by anyone other than entrant), (iii) the submitted essay and photograph do not violate the rights of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, privacy or other right, and (iv) the submitted essay and photograph have not been entered into another contest or won any other award, and (v) entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in the submitted essay and photo. Entrant understands and agrees that by entering the Contest, he or she is granting to Sponsor all rights of ownership, title, interest and all other intellectual property rights, including without limitation, copyright in and to the essay and photograph, should it be the winning entry. All other entrants (i.e. those whose entries are not the winning entry), understand and agree that by entering the Contest, he or she is granting to Sponsor a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to publish their submitted essays and photographs, if Sponsor chooses, and to republish them at any time in the future in any form, manner, venue or media now known or hereafter devised.
6. Selection of Winner. One potential winner (the "Winner") will be chosen by a panel of judges selected at the sole discretion of Parenting magazine, based equally on the quality of writing and the originality and artistic quality of the photo. Judges' decisions are final and may not be appealed. The potential Winner will be notified by phone or mail by November 30, 2009. The potential Winner must sign an affidavit of eligibility; a liability release; where legally permissible a publicity release; and confirmation of a license as set forth above in the form requested by the Sponsor, and return them within seven days of notification. If any potential Winner: (a) is unreachable by phone within twenty-four (24) hours after Sponsor's first attempt to notify such individual or if notification is undeliverable by mail, (b) fails to return all documents fully executed as required Sponsors within the specified time period, or (c) in the event of non-compliance with any of these Official Rules, the potential Winner may be disqualified and the prize will be deemed forfeited, and an alternate Winner may be selected.
7. Prize and Approximate Retail Value. Upon fulfilling the above requirements, the potential Winner will be declared the "Grand Prize Winner" of the Contest and his or her winning photo and essay will appear in Parenting magazine and on Parenting.com. The Grand Prize Winner will be given the opportunity to guest blog on Parenting.com for a one-week period to be determined by Parenting magazine. The Winner will be awarded an assortment of Baby Bjorn products with an approximate retail value of $1000. All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be substituted, but prizes of equal or greater value may be supplied by Sponsor at Sponsor's sole discretion. An IRS Form 1099 will be issued to all prize recipients for any prize valued at $600 or more.
8. Conditions/Release. By participating in the Contest, you (i) agree to be bound by these official rules, including all eligibility requirements, (ii) agree to be bound by the decisions of the Sponsors, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest, and (iii) understand and agree that failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from the Contest and/or the selection of an alternate Winner. You agree to release and forever discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor Entities, from and against any and all liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses, liability, actions or damages of any kind with respect to or in any way arising in connection with: (1) the Contest (2) participation in the Contest (3) acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize (4) any liability for economic injury, personal injury, property damage, loss or any other harm (5) anything related to the Contest and the awarding of prizes and (6) any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or infringement of any third party right. Any claims relating to this Contest shall be governed by
9. General. If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein. LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL, WHETHER OR NOT AN ENTRANT, TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, DESTROY, TAMPER OR VANDALIZE ANY WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST, IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND DILIGENTLY PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. By entering this Contest you understand and agree that Sponsor may contact entrants with product offers it believes may be of interest to entrants. The Contest is subject to all local, state, and federal regulations. No telephone calls, please.
10. Winner's Name. For the name of Winner, send a self addressed stamped envelope, which must be received by February 12, 2010 to: Parenting's Meaning of Motherhood Contest Winners, 2 Park Avenue, 10th Floor,
11. Official Contest Sponsor. Parenting magazine, a division of The Parenting Group Inc., 2 Park Avenue, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10016.