A small box of candy hearts
Cardstock in red, pink or white
Pom-poms in various sizes
Craft beads in various colors
Crafts glue or tape
Marker or pencil for tracing
What to do
Preparing the candy box holder or body:
- Trace the bottom of the candy heart box in the center of the cardstock paper.
- Starting from one edge, measure the height of the box and mark the top with a line on the paper. Repeat for the other three edges.
- Cut out the box along the lines measuring the height of the box. This should leave you with a rectangular piece of paper with a smaller rectangle drawn in the middle.
- Cut a slit along the imaginary line that would go through the longer edge of the traced rectangle. Stop cutting once you reach the traced rectangle.
- Cut another slit along the same line except start from the opposite end of the paper. Stop cutting once you reach the traced rectangle.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, along the other side of the rectangle, parallel to the first line. This will leave you with four slits in the paper all parallel to one another.
- Fold up the flaps along the lines of the traced rectangle to form a box.
- Trim edges as needed so you can fold the sides together nicely.
- Glue or tape the edges together.
- Trim the top of your box if it is too tall or the edges need to be evened out.
- Use stickers, pom-poms, gems and any other craft supplies available to decorate your box.
Adding arms and a tail:
- Punch a small hole using a pen or pencil on each side of the box (for arms) or one hole in the back (for a tail).
- Take your pipe cleaner and make a small loop at the end, securing it by twisting the loop a couple times.
- String about 5 or 6 beads (for arms) or 10 beads (for a tail) onto the pipe cleaner.
- Cut the other end, leaving about 1/2 inch of pipe cleaner after the last bead.
- Thread the pipe cleaner through the hole and twist a small knot on the inside to keep it from falling out.
Adding the head:
- Select a pom-pom about 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter.
- Pick out eyes, a nose and a mouth from the leftover materials and paste onto the head.
- Glue the head onto the body or candy box, depending on the height of your box.
These instructions give you the basics, but with this craft, you can be as creative as you like with your buddy and customize it just how you want.