Kids like just about anything that's cooked on a stick. Lemon slices grilled along with the vegetables add a zesty flavor to the dish.
Prep time: About 10 Minutes
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cut vegetables with table knife; squeeze lemon juice.
2. Slide the peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and lemon slices onto the skewers, alternating colors and type of vegetables. Brush each with olive oil and drizzle them with the juice from the remaining lemon half. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Broil or grill the vegetables over a very hot flame for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until tender but not falling apart. Remove sharp point of the skewer for older children; for younger ones, slide the vegetables off the skewer and place them on a plate. Serve at room temperature with the quarters of pita bread, if desired.
Per Serving ( 1/8 recipe): 63 calories, 2.2 g fat (.3 g saturated), 230 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.