Hearty and aromatic, this classic family dish can be made in one large pan or in two smaller ones. For best results, the lasagna should not be baked before freezing.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
* 3 cups low-fat milk
* 4 teaspoons dried rosemary
* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
* 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 pound carrots, grated
* 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
* 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
* 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce in a jar
* 9 7 x 3 1/2-inch no-boil lasagna noodles
* 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat the milk, rosemary, and garlic in a medium saucepan to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
2. In another saucepan, melt the butter or margarine, then blend in flour. Strain the milk through a sieve into the butter-and-flour mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils for at least 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil, carrots, and spinach, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Stir in the salt and sauce. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the vegetables evenly into the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
4. Arrange 3 sheets of lasagna noodles over the veggies in the bottom of the dish (don't let them touch or overlap, as they will expand during baking). Spoon about half of the remaining vegetables over the noodles. Top with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
5. Arrange 3 more sheets of lasagna on top of the sauce. Repeat layers using remaining vegetables, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 cup sauce, and last three noodles. Spoon over remaining sauce, making sure all the noodles are coated, then sprinkle with rest of cheese.
6. If planning to serve immediately, cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes; remove cover and bake another 10 minutes, or until top is brown and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freezing: Cover uncooked lasagna tightly with foil and freeze.
Reheating: Thaw, then bake, covered, for 30 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven. Remove foil cover and bake another 10 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out hot or until top is brown and bubbly. (To cook from frozen, bake covered lasagna in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 45 minutes.)
How kids can help: Layer the vegetables, noodles, cheese, and sauce in the lasagna dish.
Per serving (1/10 recipe): 313 calories, 14 g protein, 14 g fat (6.5 g saturated), 14 g carbohydrate, 741 mg sodium, 22 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber.