Vegetarian Chili Sloppy Joes
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 6 servings 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup kasha
1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 cans red kidney beans (15 ounces), undrained
2/3 cup whole-kernel corn, fresh or frozen
1 cup tomato sauce
1 package chili seasoning mix
(1 1/4 ounces)
6 whole-grain hamburger buns, lightly toasted
Optional toppings: 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup chopped onion
Measure the ingredients, whisk the egg and stir the kasha into it.
1. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the broth to a simmer; remove from heat and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, lightly whisk the egg in a small bowl and stir in the kasha, coating all of the kernels. In an ungreased medium-size skillet with a cover, cook the kasha over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the egg has dried and the kernels are separated.
3. Reduce heat to low; carefully add the hot broth, cover, and simmer for 7 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the kasha is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large covered pot over medium heat; add the celery, the pepper, and the onion, and cook until softened. Add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili seasoning, and kasha; stir to mix.
5. Cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are done. Spoon over the buns, then top with cheese and onions, if desired. per serving (1 heaping cup on bun): 423 calories, 10 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 1,212 mg sodium, 35 mg cholesterol. Beans make this dish a good source of fiber, as well as calcium and iron.