Vegetarian Taco Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 tacos
1 package soft corn tortillas (usually contains about 20; any extras can be frozen)
3 cups cooked grains (rice is standard--we used quinoa here)
2 15-ounce cans of black beans
1 red bell pepper
½ large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp fresh cilantro
Splash of beer (or water)
Toppings (ours include avocado, tomato, cheddar cheese, plain low-fat yogurt, and limes--for juicing on top of tacos)
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Arrange all prepared (sliced and diced) toppings on table for self-serving
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and chop the onion and red pepper. Add to pan, cover, and cook until onions are translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add garlic and beans to pan. Cook for another minute or two, and then add the chili powder, oregano, and a splash of beer or water to reach a consistency that suits you.
4. Cook beans, stirring constantly, for another five minutes. Remove from stove and stir in fresh cilantro.
5. Heat tortillas in oven or in a clean cast-iron pan.
6. Place beans and tortillas alongside toppings and dinner is served.