Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs chopped garlic
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder, or to taste 1 (15-oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 (15-oz) can great northern beans, rinsed 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a large, deep-sided skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onion, garlic and chicken. Cook for 10 minutes, or until chicken is white. Stir to break up any chunks.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except spinach and stir well. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in spinach; cook 1 minute, or until wilted.
3. Serve with garnishes: sour cream, salsa or guacamole.
How kid can help: Measure ingredients; rinse beans in a colander; place garnishes in small bowls.
Per serving: (2 cups): 327 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated), 995 mg sodium, 56 mg cholesterol