MAKES: 24 cupcakes
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
START TO FINISH: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 2 3?4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1?2 teaspoon salt
- 3?4 cup shortening or butter
- 1 2?3 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1?2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1?4 cups milk
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1?3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1?3 of mixture at a time, and milk, about 1?2 at a time, beating just until blended.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2?3 full.
5. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Frost with desired frosting.
1 Cupcake: Calories 180; Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 125mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1?2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1?2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Place mini paper baking cup in each of 24 mini muffin cups. Make batter as directed in recipe. Fill each cup until about 2?3 full. (Cover and refrigerate remaining batter until ready to bake; cool pan before reusing.) Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Repeat with remaining batter to make an additional 48 mini cupcakes. Frost with desired frosting. About 72 mini cupcakes.