MAKES: 24 cupcakes
PREP TIME: 15 Minutes
START TO FINISH: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening or butter
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1⁄3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1⁄3 of mixture at a time, and milk, about 1⁄2 at a time, beating just until blended.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2⁄3 full.
5. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Frost with desired frosting.
1 Cupcake: Calories 180; Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 125mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1⁄2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1⁄2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Place mini paper baking cup in each of 24 mini muffin cups. Make batter as directed in recipe. Fill each cup until about 2⁄3 full. (Cover and refrigerate remaining batter until ready to bake; cool pan before reusing.) Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Repeat with remaining batter to make an additional 48 mini cupcakes. Frost with desired frosting. About 72 mini cupcakes.