The middle-of-the-night survival kit
A little preparation can go a long way toward making those 2 A.M. sick calls easier. Some things to have on hand:
In the medicine chest...
- Pain and fever relievers. Stock both children's ibuprofen and children's acetaminophen (or the infant formulations for kids under 2) and jot down the correct dose for each approved by your doctor.
- A children's antihistamine and cortisone cream (with doctor-approved instructions)
- Saline nose drops or spray
- Nasal aspirator
- Medicine dropper
- Prescription pain-relief eardrops (if your child is prone to infections)
- Petroleum jelly
- Digital thermometer
In the kitchen...
- Olive oil
- Canned peaches or pears in syrup
- Ice pops
- Flat cola or ginger ale
In his room...
- Cool-mist humidifier
- Facial tissues
Laura Flynn McCarthy lives in New Hampshire and is the mother of two boys.