The pairing of crunchy cabbage and sweet citrus makes a perfect side to rich lasagna. Make it a few hours ahead of time so the flavors have a chance to develop.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 6 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 clementines, peeled and separated, or two 11-oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon-style mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 3 1/2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbs orange juice
- Mix the cabbage and clementines in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add pear and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl with rice.
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard, salt and pepper. Add the oil, vinegar and orange juice and mix well. Toss with salad.
How kids can help: All steps.
Per serving(1/8 recipe): 149 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated), 111 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.