Coolest Big Bird Costume EVER!
October 29, 2012
There's no doubt that Big Bird wins the award for the most popular (and talked-about) costume of the year! But options are limited (and already sold out!) if your kid wants to dress like the big yellow guy. Have no fear! I partnered with Alisha Collins of Fairytale Jubilee to design a DIY costume that's sure to wow!
What you'll need:
- A pair of overalls
- Hot glue gun
- Shoulder pads
- Orange car wash mitts
- Orange and pink tights or pantyhose
- a ton of yellow feathers! (or feather boas)
- Pink ribbon, Styrofoam balls, felt
How to make it:
- Cut the legs off of the overalls. You can keep the legs as long as you'd like, but we cut them in the shape of a romper.
- Hot glue shoulder pads to the overall straps at the shoulder.
- Use the hot glue gun to glue feathers of all shapes and sizes to the costume. Use longer feathers at the shoulder to create wing like appearance.
- Cover overalls completely in feathers. Let dry.
- Cut pink pantyhose or tights into foot-long pieces. Roll them into tubes. Make as many as you can to create the "big bird" legs. You will slip them over your child's legs once she is dressed in the orange tights. Set aside.
- Cut bird feet shapes out of the orange mitts. Hot glue (or stitch) them closed. If your child will wear this costume trick-or-treating, cut the bottom off of the "feet" and glue on an elastic band so they fit over shoes.
- Glue two Styrofoam balls and a felt beak to the pink ribbon to make headband. Embellish with feathers. Use a marker to color in eyes.
Thank you, Alisha! You're amazing!