Kid-Friendly Cinco de Mayo Recipes
May 3, 2013
Wondering what there is to do on Cinco de Mayo for kids? Our answer: eat! These super-simple recipes, courtesy of celeb chef Aarón Sánchez and Ortega, will let the little ones join in on the fun. For more Cinco de Mayo inspiration, check out ortega.com.
Fish Tacos with Cabbage & Tangerine Slaw
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp ORTEGA® Guacamole Seasoning Mix
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tangerines (cubed, seeds removed)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 2lbs white fish fillets or shrimp
- 1 package (1 oz) ORTEGA® Fish Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 box ORTEGA® Taco Shells (any variety)
- 1 jar (16 oz) ORTEGA® Thick & Smooth Taco Sauce (any variety)
1. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, and guacamole seasoning mix.
2. Add red cabbage, onion and tangerines and mix to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Cut the fish into 1 1/2-inch chunks and toss with taco seasoning mix. Heat oil in a large
skillet over medium heat and cook the fish until it is opaque and the edges are slightly
browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
4. Fill taco shells with fish chunks and top with the slaw. Sprinkle on chopped cilantro and
top with taco sauce.
Makes 5 servings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 package (1.25 oz) ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 can (16 oz) ORTEGA® Refried Beans
- 2 cans (10 oz each) ORTEGA® Red Enchilada Sauce
- 9 ORTEGA® Flour Soft Tortillas
- 1 jar (16 oz) ORTEGA® Thick & Chunky Salsa (any variety)
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion
and garlic 4 minutes or until softened. Add ground beef and cook 4 minutes or until
browned. Stir in taco seasoning and ¼ cup water. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce
2. In microwave or small saucepan, heat refried beans and stir in remaining ¼ cup water to
3. Cut one tortilla in half and fit the cut ends at either end of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Arrange two tortillas, slightly overlapping, to cover the bottom. Layer 1/3 refried beans,
1/3 meat mixture and 1can enchilada sauce. Repeat to make a second layer.
4. Repeat to make a third layer using salsa instead of enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with
5. Bake 20 minutes or until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes
Makes 8 servings