Motivate your reluctant readers without forcing them to read this summer. Try one or all of these ideas.
- Choice is essential - let your child choose what she reads, even if it's magazines.
- Time to read. Do you have a chunk of time in you day to read?
- Read aloud to your child -- even older kids. Read at a meal or bedtime.
- "Read" audiobooks - they count as reading for a variety of reasons. Try Playaways or Tales2Go .
- Read comic books - they count, too.
- Read with a headlamp and stay up late. Breaking the rules is fun!
- Get help. Ask a librarian or bookstore employee for suggestions.
- Start a parent-child book club. Let your child pick the book. Socialization can be very motivating.
- Get him a library card to use voraciously. (Hint: don't limit the amount of books!)
- Use bookstore money as a reward.
How will you get your kids to read this summer?
Reading Rockets website
Reading is Fundamental website