Do you love Target as much as me?
How about the public library or you school library?
Target and I want you to love both. Why? Because if you want to raise a reader, your reader needs access to books and expert guidance from a children's librarian who can suggest books for his or her specific interests and reading level.
Unfortunately, many school libraries aren't meeting the needs of students because of lack of staff or resources. That's why Target and The Heart of America Foundaation are giving 32 school libraries a makeover! The makeover includes 2,000 new books, new furniture, carpet and shelves, and a technology upgrade, including iPads. Also, the students in these schools will each receive seven new books for their home libraries.
Here's a school library before the makeover.
Look at the library after the makeover. Beautiful, right?
Here are a few benefits of a strong school library, exerpted from the article, "100 Things Kids Will Miss If they don’t have a School Librarian in their School," by Dr. Nancy Everhart, President, American Association of School Librarians.
- Project-based learning and the critical thinking skills it teaches them.
- A place where the school culture is fostered and thrives.
- A recommendation for a book that is suited to their interest.
- A recommendation on what to read next.
- Having stories read to them.
- Respect for intellectual property.
- A place to practice safe and ethical behaviors.
- A librarian who doesn't judge a student because he/she takes out a book they enjoy reading.
- A place to solve problems.
- A place to use their imagination.
- Book clubs.
- Special programs and speakers.
- Author visits.
- Video chats with authors and experts.
- Reading contests and prizes.
To celebrate the School Library Makeover Program and two other literacy initiatives from Target, Reading Grants, and a Literacy Pilot Program, Target wants to give one Parenting reader a reading prize package valued at $500. It includes:
o One Nook Color
o Ten New Age-Appropriate Books
o One Bookshelf
o One Blanket
o One $50 Target GiftCard
o One "Fatboy" Chair
For more information about the Target programs and to connect with Target, . . .