Happy new year from our family to yours.
December 31, 2011
© Amanda Jo Greep
I’m not good at year-end wrap-ups. I always sit down with great intentions, wanting to say something pithy but inspirational, and somehow sum up my entire year in one bang-up page.
More often, I end up rambling through something mushy or emotional or largely incoherent (especially if I start it after we open the bottle of wine) and never share it because it would just be embarrassing.
But tonight I was sitting and reflecting on my year (and as I am unable to drink much wine, my thoughts are still sensible - thanks, Boo!) and realized that it’s been a damn good one. It’s had its highs and lows like any other, of course, but its highs have been really high and for that I am grateful.
Since this day last year, I have…
- raised a feisty, empathetic little tornado of a toddler and watched her grow from a barely-toddling, barely-talking baby into a force of a kid;
- strengthened my relationship with my husband, who also happens to be my favorite sidekick and closest confidant;
- conceived a second child and have (so far) been chugging happily along through a normal, uneventful pregnancy;
- made many new friends, especially those of the parental sort, which has been especially great for playdate potential;
- seen our extended families on several occasions, though of course, it’s still never quite enough;
- attended 29 births and grown my own business; and
- have made some overall improvements to my life, little by little, week by week, which is the best any of us can hope for, really.
In the new year, I hope to continue improving my mothering skills, keep my relationship tight and on track (which I hear can be particularly challenging when bringing a second child into the family), start life with our new baby off as best we can manage, and continue the small life improvements, as able. I’d like to read more, write more, relax more, play more, and, most importantly, laugh more.
Here’s to a great 2012, all! I hope yours is excellent as well.
Do you make New Year Resolutions? If so, what are yours for 2012? Did you keep your 2011 resolutions?