Jim's Pancakes: Ladybug Pancake Recipe
November 21, 2011
© Courtesy of Penguin Group
“Toast, again, Mom?” … “Ugh, oatmeal?!” Silence your mini-critics and make breakfast fun with this adorable ladybug pancake from OMG Pancakes!: 75 Cool Creations Your Kids Will Love to Eat by Jim Belosic, the daddy genius behind Jim’s Pancakes. This little critter is as tasty as it is easy; you just need some food coloring and a squeeze bottle or plastic sandwich bag with a small hole cut in the corner.
For this recipe, you will need:
• Plain pancake batter
• Natural brown food coloring
• Natural red food coloring
• Two squeeze bottles (or plastic bags)
1. Split the batter into two equal parts in two separate bowls. Add red food coloring to one part and brown to the other. Transfer the batter into two separate squeeze bottles.
2. Grab your brown batter. Make two circles, one about twice the size of the other, for the body and head. Attach some antennae to the head.
3. Next, get your red batter and get ready for action. Make two half-circles for the wings.
4. Fill them in with the red batter, leaving several small circles open for the spots.
5. Fill in circles those small with brown batter.
6. When the ladybug parts have cooked through on both sides, remove them from the
Place the body on the plate first. Now you can layer on the wings, as shown in the illustration.
It’s cute as a bug!
Reprinted from OMG Pancakes! by Jim Belosic by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc., Copyright (c) 2011.