You might want to consider passing on the Capri Sun pouch and toss a juice box or water into your kid’s lunchbox, instead. According to WSOC-TV, a North Carolina boy found an unwanted source of protein in his Capri Sun drink: a worm!
The boy took a sip from the pouch and started choking after sucking something up through the straw. He then proceeded to pull a worm out of his mouth. Christina Stewart, his (justifiably) horrified mom, immediately called Kraft foods, Capri Sun’s parent company. Kraft promised that they would refund her money.
The company also requested that Stewart send the questionable pouch—worm and all—to Kraft for investigation. But the mother had already taken the juice pack to her son’s doctor, who sent it to a lab for testing. Kraft has released the following statement:
"We're very sorry Ms. Stewart and her little boy had such an unpleasant experience. Of course, without seeing the material, we can only surmise, but we believe what she's identified as a worm may actually be mold. Since our Capri Sun products are made without preservatives—a fact many moms like—if there's even a small hole in a pouch and air gets into it, mold similar to common bread mold can form. This is why we advise on the side of the box to discard any leaking pouches.”
Kraft claims that they have been made aware of other such complaints but when they examined the material, they found it was mold, not worms. However, a quick Internet search reveals YouTube testimonies and other reports of wormy Capri Suns, like this story by CNN.com, which includes a correspondence between a 21-year-old nursing student from Philadelphia and Kraft along with a photo. Yuck!
Have you ever found something surprising (and unwanted) in your food or drink? How would you handle the situation?