Faulty Swimming Pool Drains: The Water Safety Hazard You Don’t Know About
June 16, 2011
by Sasha Emmons
© 14ktgold for Veer
Last week an 8-year-old girl from Georgia got her wrist stuck in a swimming pool vacuum pipe. Crew worked for hours to successfully free her, and she is now recovering from her injuries. But her case brings to light a rare but scary pool hazard most parents don’t even know to worry about: pool drain, grate and pipe entrapments, where swimmers or their clothing become caught or entangled, leading to drowning or serious injury.
Plus: Water Safety for Kids
6-year-old Abbey Taylor was disemboweled by a faulty pool drain in 2007, and passed away from her injuries nine months later. A similar incident claimed the life of 7-year-old Virginia Graeme Baker (granddaughter of former Secretary of State James A. Baker III), inspiring passage of the Pool & Spa Safety Act, which requires anti-entrapment drain covers and other safety devices at public pools and spas.
Plus: Tips for Summer Safety
These type of incidents don’t happen often, but if you’re planning to spend a lot of time at the pool this summer (or have a pool in your yard), take a few minutes to read 3 easy steps you can take to prevent this tragedy from happening to your child.