Loaded with a garden’s worth of vegetables—bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens—and dressed with a bright lemon-oregano vinaigrette, this salad is a hearty meal-in-a-bowl. The addition of chickpeas gives it protein and fiber for more energy throughout the day, and a big dose of folate, a water-soluble B vitamin that helps build and maintain new cells.
- Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 4 lemons
- 1/3 cup (1 oz/30 g) dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) olive oil
- 4 cups (4 oz/125 g) loosely packed baby arugula
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 lb (250 g) fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the lemon zest and juice, oregano, mustard, Parmesan, salt, pepper and olive oil in a jar, cover tightly, and shake vigorously until emulsified. Alternatively, whisk together all of the ingredients in a bowl until emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside. (The dressing can be made up to 1 week in advance and stored in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.)
- Place the arugula in a large serving bowl. In a second large bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, onion and mozzarella and toss gently to mix. Pour about 3?4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) of the vinaigrette over the vegetable mixture and toss gently again to coat thoroughly. Taste and add a little more vinaigrette, if needed.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the serving bowl with the arugula, toss gently to combine and serve.
From The Supper Club by Susie Cover, Weldon Owen, 2011