Need help choosing a pet for your family? With the help of Dr. Gary Ryder, DVM and Expert on JustAnswer.com, we've ranked the best pets for kids from most to least kid-friendly
Best Pet for Kids:
1. Large DOGS like Labs are typically friendly and encourage kids to be active outdoors.
Plus: Kids and Pets: A Safety Guide 4 Rules for Naming a Pet Coping with a Missing Pet
2. CATS are playful and pretty easy for kids to care for, but won't hesitate to scratch.
3. HAMSTERS can be fun to watch and handle, but they require frequent cage cleanings and have a short life span.
4. FISH require bowl cleanings and can't be handled, so kids get bored.
5. TURTLES, like all reptiles, can carry salmonella (eek!).