Cute Craft Templates
Get crafty! Use these free downloadable templates to create easy, fun crafts for kids
Butterfly Sun Catcher
1. With a pencil, trace a butterfly stencil onto two 8 1/2 by 11-inch pieces of blue card stock.
2. Using scissors, cut out the butterfly shape from both pieces of card stock. (Save the second cutout for the end.)
3. Cut a piece of yellow cellophane (found at crafts stores) into an 8 by 10-inch rectangle; it will need to cover both wings. Use a glue stick to attach the cellophane to the back of one of the butterfly cutouts.
4. Cut out two 3 by 7-inch ovals of orange cellophane. Place one on the outside half of each wing, and glue into place.
5. Cut sixteen 2 3/4 by 1/4-inch strips of red cellophane (eight for each butterfly wing) and two circles (2 inches in diameter). Layer the strips on the circles in a spoke-wheel shape, and glue onto the yellow cellophane.
6. Cut twenty 1/2-inch squares in two shades of green.
7. Now turn the sun catcher over and work on the front. Decorate the upper wings by layering the green squares; glue into place.
8. Using the butterfly stencil, cut out the body shape from purple cellophane and glue onto center of the butterfly so it overlaps both the paper and the wings.
9. Place the second butterfly cutout on the back of the first. Glue together, making sure the two cutouts align.
10. Tape the sun catcher to a window.