You are here
How to Make a Birthday Cake: 12 Delicious Recipes
- ‹ Prev
- next ›
- 1 of 13
- Todd ColemanCaramel CakeRich butter cake is draped in thick caramel fudge icing in this southern-style layer cake, based on a recipe by Louise Hodges, a home cook from Carmack, Mississippi.
- Todd ColemanRed Velvet CakeWhile the classic red-hued, cocoa-flavored cake known as red velvet is usually dressed with cream cheese frosting, we prefer it with a simpler whipped cream frosting.
- Todd ColemanCoconut CakeIn this recipe, fluffy coconut frosting is spread atop pillowy buttermilk cake. For best results, use fresh coconut and its sweet water.
- Todd ColemanLemon Layer CakeThe perfect birthday cake for the lemon-lover, the winter citrus fruit infuses this cake in three ways: zested into the batter, in a tart syrup that gets drizzled over the cake layers, and in a thick lemon curd frosting. If you don't want to make the frosting from scratch, you can substitute store-bought lemon curd.
- Todd ColemanYellow Cake with Chocolate FrostingClassic yellow cake with rich, fudge icing is a sure crowd-pleaser.
- André BaranowskiSmith Island CakeThis impressive, many-layered cake is actually a dressed-up Duncan Hines box cake with ground Reese's Peanut Butter Cups sprinkled between every layer.
- Todd ColemanGerman Chocolate CakeThe decadent chocolate cake with coconut- and walnut-filling is actually not German at all–it's named after German's Chocolate, an American product created in 1852.
- Todd ColemanBlack Forest CakeGerman Black Forest Cake, filled with cherries and enriched with kirsch (cherry brandy) gets better the longer it sits.
- Ganda SuthivarakomRoot Beer CakeThis surprising cake is sweetened with root beer soda and topped with root beer-flavored hard candies.
- Todd ColemanVery Moist Chocolate Layer CakeThis old-fashioned chocolate cake features a gooey, drippy chocolate icing.
- Todd ColemanCarrot CakeCrushed Pineapple and grated carrot keep this classic cake sweet and moist. Try using marzipan carrots for a fun cake topper.
- Todd ColemanGluten-Free Carrot Cake with Coconut-Cream Cheese FrostingThis light and airy carrot cake calls for pulsed walnuts and corn starch instead of flour, making it naturally gluten-free.