Tummy time is one of the most important developmental exercises for baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends tummy time for all infants, starting the day they arrive home from the hospital. When they are awake, babies should be put on their stomachs for three to five minutes at a time two to three times a day, then building up to 30 minutes a day.
- Best Ball For Tunny Time: VTech Lil
- Best Mirror For Tummy Time: Bright Starts Sit And See Floor Mirror
- Best Rattle For Tunny Time: Manhattan Toy Winket Rattle And Sensory Teether
- Best Musical Toy For Tummy Time: Best Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy
- Best Disney Toy For Tummy Time: Winnie The Pooh Activity Gym For Baby By Bright Starts
- Best Water Toy For Tummy Time: KLEEGER Inflatable Baby Water Mat
- Best Electronic Toy For Tummy Time: Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar
- Best Pillow For Tummy Time: Boppy Tummy Time Pillow
Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong! Many babies do not enjoy tummy time and it can be a real struggle for parents to get them to do this much needed work.
Just think about it: It’s hard for babies to build those muscles and lift the heaviest part of their body, plus if a baby is suffering from acid reflux, being placed on their stomach is not fun. But tummy time is essential for their development, as it strengthens their neck and helps them lift and support their heads. It also reduces the risk of babies developing a flat spot on the back of their head, while helping them increase their fine and gross motor skills.
So now that you understand why tummy time is a non-negotiable, here are 8 toys that will help make it much more enjoyable for your baby.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.