Horse Birthday Cake Design
by Karen Tack
Sweet! How to make a horse birthday cake with Fruit by the Foot. Easy, step-by-step recipe, diagrams and pictures
- 1 (8-inch) round cake
- 1 (9-inch) square cake
- ½ can (1 cup) vanilla frosting
- 1 can (16 oz) chocolate frosting
- 1 black jelly bean
- 1 Junior Mint
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 1 roll red Fruit by the Foot
- 1 white Necco wafer
- 10 chocolate Twizzlers
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- Scissors or kitchen shears
- 2 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)
Trimming the cakes:
- Cut a 1-inch-deep slice from 2 sides of the round cake (see template). Cut one of the trimmed pieces in half to use as the ears.
- Trim the square cake as pictured in the diagram. Arrange the cakes on a serving platter as pictured in template.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp of the chocolate frosting into another resealable plastic bag.
- Spread the remaining chocolate frosting over the top and sides of cake and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Snip a small corner from the bags with the vanilla and chocolate frosting.
- Pipe vanilla frosting on the ears and the top of the nose.
- Add the jelly bean as the nostril.
- Pipe a 1 ½-inch white circle for the eye. Press the Junior Mint into the circle's center as the iris.
- Pipe a chocolate-frosting eyelid above the white circle. Insert chocolate sprinkles upright around the eye as the eyelashes. Pipe a white dot onto the Junior Mint to add sparkle to the eye.
- Add the red Fruit by the Foot and the Necco wafer as pictured for the harness.
- Cut the chocolate Twizzlers into thin strands, each about 3 to 4 inches long. Arrange the cut chocolate Twizzlers down the back of the horse's head as the mane.