How to make a building blocks birthday cake with pound cake and fruit chews
- 1 (16 oz) family size frozen pound cake, thawed (Sara Lee)
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red, green, yellow and blue food coloring
- 6 each red, blue, yellow and green fruit chews (Jolly Rancher and Laffy Taffy)
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a work surface. Trim the short ends to make the sides perpendicular to the bottom of the cake.
- Cut the cake crosswise into 4 equal pieces (see template).
Frosting the cake:
- Divide the frosting evenly between 4 bowls. Add enough food coloring to tint each bowl of frosting a different bright color: blue, red, yellow and green. Cover the frosting to prevent drying.
- Spread an even layer of tinted frosting over each piece of cake to make one block of each color.
To complete the decoration:
- Unwrap the red fruit chews and microwave for no more than 3 seconds to soften.
- Press 3 softened fruit chews together and flatten slightly into a 1 ½-inch thick circle.
- Cut out a 1 ½-inch circle with a cookie cutter or small knife. Repeat with the three other like-colored fruit chews.
- Repeat with the rest of the colored fruit chews — you will wind up with 6 colored fruit chew hockey puck shapes.
- Arrange the 2 like-colored fruit chew pucks on top of the frosted cakes to make the blocks.