Sweet! How to make a dump truck birthday cake with crushed chocolate cookies. Easy, step-by-step recipe, diagrams and pictures
- 1 (9 by 5-inch) loaf pound cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- 4 Twizzlers or Red Vines
- 1 cup coarsely crushed chocolate cookies
- ½ cup thin pretzel sticks
- Brown M&M's Premiums or Peanut M&M's
- 2 chocolate-covered doughnuts
- 6 mini-chocolate-covered doughnuts
- 8 yellow M&M's
- 1 bar (4 oz) white chocolate
- 2 mint Mentos
What you'll need:
- A bread knife
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
- A serving platter
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using a bread knife, trim the top to make it level.
- Cut a 2-inch piece from one short end of the loaf cake. Cut a wedge from the top of the remaining pound cake, 1 ½ inches down on one short end (see template). Set the wedge aside.
For the white and red frosting:
- Spoon ¼ cup of the untinted vanilla frosting into a small resealable plastic bag.
- Add red food coloring to the remaining frosting to tint it red.
Assembling the cake:
- Cut a 1-inch slice from the long edge of the reserved wedge; discard the scrap and place the slimmed wedge on a serving platter, wide cut side down. Spread some of the red frosting on top.
- Place the larger cake on top of the trimmed piece, as pictured. Spread the top and sides of the larger cake with some of the red frosting and make smooth.
- For the dump truck's cab, place the reserved 2 by 5-inch loaf end in front of the large cake and cover with red frosting.
For the candy decoration:
- Trim the red licorice to match the dimensions of the truck trailer and use to line its top edge. Place a trimmed piece of licorice along the top back edge of the cab of the truck.
- Fill the top of the cake with crushed cookies, pretzels and M&M's. Allow some of the cookies and pretzels to fall onto the serving platter.
- Press the regular-size and the mini-doughnuts onto the sides of the cake as tires. Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting in the center of the doughnuts and add the yellow M&M's to the center.
- Insert 2 pretzel sticks into the top back corners of the truck cab.
- Cut the white-chocolate bar into a 1 ½ by 3-inch rectangle and two ½ by 1-inch rectangles. Press the smaller white-chocolate "windows" onto the sides of the truck cab. Press the large rectangular white chocolate "window" into the front of the cab.
- Press the Mentos underneath the large window on either side of the front of the cab for the truck's lights.